Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott


This book takes true details from the Titanic disaster and adds fictional details to flesh out a story.  Normally that really bothers me but this time it seems to work.
Tess works as a maid but wants to start a new life as a dressmaker.  She decides that she will get hired by the Titanic and get free passage to the United States where she will face endless opportunities in a new country.  She arrives too late and is instead hired by the famous designer Lady Gordon.  She and Lady Gordon both survive the sinking of the ship and become embroiled in the aftermath.  There are hearings both in America and in Britain regarding who knew what, who did what and why no one helped all those who died.
This was a good book and I learned a lot about the Titanic that I never knew.  I would recommend it but it won't make any of my favorite lists.  Overall, a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment