Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton



I just finished reading The Quality of Silence.  Wow.  It was that kind of intense book that had me wanting to flip ahead just to release some of the tension and fear I felt for the safety of the characters.   I restrained myself, but barely.
The story is told from the viewpoint of Ruby, a young girl who is completely deaf,  and her mother,    Yasmin.  The two have flown across the ocean from England to Alaska in order to demand that Matt (father and husband) come home.  He is in Alaska studying wildlife in the frozen dark winter of the Artic Circle.  This has taken him to a remote native village.  Upon landing in Alaska the pair is met by the police, not Matt.  There has been an accident in the village.
From their we are swirled off into a menacing cold darkness in a quest to find Matt.  It is a dark (literally and figuratively) journey full of menace and foreboding.
I found this book very engrossing and informative.  I loved the characters of Yasmin and Ruby.  But this book was a challenging one to get into.  It took me about 20 pages to get used to the authors rhythm, but once in it was hard to put down (and to not flip ahead).  It was quite thrilling and scary to me, with lots of menacing characters (one of which was Alaska itself).  I really liked this book but it's not for the casual reader.   Great ending!

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment