Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mr and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One by Sharon Lathan


I should have known I would hate this book after reading the introduction. The author starts off by saying she had never read any Jane Austen before she went to see the MOVIE Pride and Prejudice. So then she loved the movie, read the books and decided she was qualified to continue the stories of the brilliant Austen. NO THANK YOU, Ma'am.
As a person who has read every Jane Austen book a million times (starting from when I was 12) I feel a bit possessive of Miss Austen and don't think it's okay for any old movie loving person to presume to write books in her voice. I got about 10 pages into this book and did in no way find any of these characters familiar. For all that is holy in the world, at one point she refers to Darcy as WILLIAM!!!! (which is apparently what her Lizzie calls him as a shortening of Fitzwilliam). DEAR LORD WOMAN!
I had to put this down and walk away.
Oh the sacrilege.

Did I mention there are MORE of these?

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe this is legal. Horrifying!

    Loved your comment over at ByeBye Pie today - I can't imagine how you got over that 7th-grade trauma.

    ReplyDelete