Sunday, January 8, 2012

Irma Voth by Miriam Towes



I finished this book a few days ago and since then I have been pondering. I am still not sure if I liked this book. It is the story of a young woman who is Mennonite and lives in Mexico. She is married to a young Mexican man and has been shunned by her family. However, her father has allowed Irma and her husband to live in a house on the family's ranch. A film crew arrives in the area to film an art film involving Mennonites and Irma is hired as a translator. The book was fascinating for it's brief insights into the Mennonite lifestyle. The book was disturbing and dark for no apparent reason through the beginning. I *think* I liked the book, but I still can't decide. The book jacket states that the author was born in a small Canadian Mennonite community and has written several books and a memoir of her father. I would LOVE to read the memoir just wondering if any of the father in THIS book was based on her father (and I really hope not!!). I think this book just wasn't Mennonite-y enough for me. I will check out her other books and think this would be a great book club book.

No comments:

Post a Comment